What is this ?

flattopvic
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I'm new to all this. I acquired a Allied Radio Corp No.  83 R075.  It has three tubes, Sylvania 35Z5, 50L6 and a 12SQ7 also has a power cord and to dials connected by cables and a small transformer.

It has speaker out coming from the transformer, pick spades labeled  +  - and a 2 pin female plug  labeled motor.

What actually is this unit and what is need to get it to work ?

any help would be greatly appreciated !

thanks,

Added photo hope this helps and went thru

MD

Re: What is this ?

MD
Administrator
Can you include a photo?

Re: What is this ?

flattopvic
Hi,

I attached a photo to my post, hope this helps.

thanks

Re: What is this ?

Mike
From the photo and your description, I think it's an amplifier (for sound/music).  The "motor" leads might have gone to a turntable.

I don't think this was a stand-alone amplifier, but more of a component of a larger stereo cabinet that had a turntable and speakers also built-in.

Re: What is this ?

WB6WSN
The 12SQ7 (in metal) or the 12SQ7GT (in glass) is a dual diode (typically used for an AM detector and an AGC detector, and a high-gain audio triode. I would guess that the two "dials" (actually potentiometers) are probably volume and tone controls. The 50L6 is a beam power tube, an audio amplifier capable of about 4 Watts output. The 35Z5 is a half-wave rectifier tube, rated to 235 VDC and 100 mA. The transformer is probably an audio output device. The combination of the three filament voltages adding to nearly 115 Volts, and the fact that 35Z5's were often connected directly to the AC power line, makes me think there is no power transformer. (Be careful, depending how the wiring or plug is connected, you might have a hot chassis.) The whole gadget thus is probably an AM detector and low power audio amplifier.