Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

MD

Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

MD
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hello everyone and welcome to the Allied Radio /Allied Electronics forum.

In addition to creating www.AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum), I am also the creator of www.RadioShackCatalogs.com.

Since I was a teenager, I've had a fascination with electronics (radios, computers, televisions, electronic kits & components, an the like).  Most of that interest came to be as a result of reading the free electronic catalogs I would get.  Radio Shack, Allied Radio, LaFayette, and Olson Electronics were my favorites.  I would spend countless hours reading (sometimes memorizing) the technical specifications of radio recievers/tuners/amplifers, speakers, CB equipment, computers, and electronic components.  Yes, those old electronic catalogs were great to read . . . over & over again.

Through the years, I saved those electronic catalogs.  One day while cleaning up, I came across my collection of old catalogs; now well aged with torn spines and yellowing worn pages.  I thought, if I scanned the catalogs, I could preserve them in a digital form.  I knew that this wouldn't be an easy or quick task, but I felt it was important to do.  So that's what I did.

I first started with my old RadioShack catalogs.  After scanning about 10 catalogs, I had the idea to post the catalogs on the web so that others could also reminisce about those great catalogs.  To make a long story short, in October 2008, with the consent of the nice folks at RadioShack Corporation, I started RadioShackCatalogs.com.

That site was so well-received that four years later (late 2012) I decided create a similar site with my old Allied Radio/Allied Electronics catalogs.  When I contacted Allied Electronics Corporation about my idea and to ask their consent to start such a website, their reply was, "Absolutely Yes!".

My goal is to post every Allied annual and seasonal catalog from their first edition in 1929 to the late 1990's.  After that, Allied's catalogs got to be larger than a big city phone book.  (Their 2013 catalog is over 2200 pages!)

I also want to post and preserve some of the old Allied advertisements and history of the company.  Living in the Chicago area (the former home of Allied), I plan to photograph the exterior of thier old headquarters at 100 N. Western Ave. and some of the old store locations (if the buildings still exist).

That's all I have to say for now.  If you have something to say, let's hear it!

Warm regards,
Mike

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

majortom
Hi,

I just wanted to commend you for taking on such an enormous task.
Thanks for doing this!

mt

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

Ted Bleiman K9MDM
Mike. I worked at the 100 N Western Store in 1960 and 1961 ( i think it might have been 66) about a year in each instance. I was on the sales floor and at 'Counter One' which was customer service in tehstore and then in the annex at the customer service counter for the store and repair department...mostly Knight Kits.

Customer service was more fun than sales..More variety of problems and some real funny incidents.
Great site.

thanks...this brings back some nice memories of my early life. It was a great place to work in them there days.

Ted Bleiman  K9MDM
Chicago
MD

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

MD
Administrator
Ted:
You wouldn't by chance have some old Allied store photos, would you?

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

kcmcuda
Fantastic Job Mike! I can't imagine the countless hours you have logged putting this site together. There is a wealth of info here that I have not been able to find anywhere else on the Web. I am into late 50's early 60's tube audio gear and this site has been invaluable. I can't wait until you finish with the 1959 catalog as that is the one that should have the Knight Basic 60 stereo amplifiers in it. Thanks for taking the time to put this site together.  Ken
MD

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

MD
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback.

Although I have purchased the 1959 catalog (and many others that are not yet displayed on this site), I'm waiting awhile before posting them.  The reason is simply the cost to scan them.  I hand-scan the smaller catalogs, which takes a LOT of time.  But I have resorted to sending the larger catalogs to a scanning service.  That gets very expensive.

Initially, I put a LOT of time and money into purchasing all the catalogs and paying for the scanning service, but now I need to curb the expenses for awhile.  The small revenue from the Google ads and donations do help fund the site, but 99.9% of the expense is out of my pocket.

Tell all your friends about this site and thanks again for stopping by.

~Mike

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

Tanya Wexler
Hi Mike-

Thank you so much for creating this!  I am Simon Wexler's granddaughter Tanya (Jerry's daughter).  I have never seen these and it is so exciting.  We discovered your site when my son (also Jerry) was working on a physics project on electro-magnetism and how radio works... just last night for his high school Jr. year project.  Funny how these things happen.

I would love to get ahold of some of the catalogs.

Thanks for brining back a part of family history!

Side note...

Allied was founded on my birthday!  I never knew that.

Kindest,

Tanya

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

Jeff Wexler
I'm looking for a picture I used to have of me and Grandpa Sy, my foot and his on the shovel for the groundbreaking of the new Allied building --- I think it was 1952, I was 5 years old. Thank you, Tanya, for finding this site --- what an amazing job Mike has done compiling all these catalogs.

Best regards,   Jeff Wexler  (Haskell Wexler's son).
MD

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

MD
Administrator
Hi Tanya:

Wow!  Simon Wexler's granddaughter.

Your grandfather and his company helped to shape the world of radio & electronics, and inspire many people (myself included) to pursue a career in electronics.  The Allied catalogs were not just a sales tool.  As a kid, I looked forward to reading the new Allied Catalog like some kids looked forward to reading the Sears' Toy Catalog.  Such fond memories.

Thank you for coming upon my website and posting your favorable comments.

Regards,
~Mike
MD

Re: Introducing AlliedCatalogs.com (and this forum)

MD
Administrator
Hi Jeff Wexler,

Thank you for your nice comments.

If you should happen to find that picture, I would love to post it on the website.

Regards,
~Mike